Bellonia Tower/Somarippa

A few km after Galanado, in the direction of Kastraki, Bellonia Tower is located in a prominent position. It is one of the best-preserved, privately owned towers of the island, which belongs now to Michalis Maragkos.
 
It was built around 1600 and it belonged to Ieronymos Somarippa. Right next to it, it is located the double-aisled chapel of Agios Ioannis ( “Saint John” ), built in the 13th century, which has coats of arms and some sculptures. Typical characteristic of the church is the fact that the one aisle is Orthodox while the other is Catholic.
The tower is used as a residence.
this is naxos magazine
Sponsors