Galanado

At a distance of 6km far from Chora in the southwestern part of the island this small village is located. It is amphitheatrically built with an excellent view to the plain of Livadi and Chora too. It has about 400 permanent residents who mainly deal with agriculture and livestock farming. According to the tradition the name of the village comes from the French word “galant” which means gentleman.
 
At a short distance and in an outstanding position dominates the Tower of Belonia that overlooks the whole eastern side of Naxos. It is one of the best-preserved towers of the island and it continues to be a private residence. It dates from around 1610 when it belonged to Ieronimos Somarippa. In its courtyard it is located the double-aisled chapel of Agios Ioannis.
 
this is naxos magazine
Sponsors